Feeling nervous about your first afterthought heel or thumb? We offer classes and are happy to help. We’ll get you started on your socks (or mitts), teaching you how to work the afterthought heel, helping with heel placement, and answering all your questions about working with a tube.
Classes are two hours long. The cost includes a full-length sock tube, contrast yarn for the heels, toes, and cuffs, a short practice tube kit, and the sock pattern. Students provide their own favorite knitting needles. Classes are held in many locations and upcoming classes are listed on this website.
Another option is to host a class yourself. It’s a great option for a knit night. Here’s how it works.
- Invite your friends to a private Side Hustle Socks class! It’s a fun way to confidently start making socks or mitts from a tube.
- Each guest will be provided a detailed pattern, a practice tube and yarn for a contrasting heel, and step by step instructions and guidance. Participants will have time to do a sample heel and learn all our tricks for successfully completing a pair of socks or mitts!
- Each guest will need to bring knitting needles; we suggest two circulars size 1 to 2. One long circular for magic loop or dpns are fine too.
- A week before the party, each guest gives us a skein of her fingering weight yarn. We turn the yarn into tubes, so after class each guest will be ready to start on her own project. (Or bring the skein to the party and we’ll return it a few days later.)
- We will not have our circular knitting machine at this class; all the machine knitting will have been done in advance.
- Cost: $50 per guest, minimum of 4 guests.
- Since you are hosting, we will crank an extra skein of your yarn for you.
- Email us at email@example.com for answers to your questions and to schedule your party.